Friday, February 6, 2009

Of all the places

When I say I hate someone, I don't despise them - I envy them greatly. One of my lab partners in my biogeography class is a grad student who works at the Field Museum. She studies diptera (flies), but professes to have more interest in coleoptera (beetles), but I hate her anyway, because she's the entomologist I want to become someday. I can't even begin to explain how much I would love to be her, and just to add insult to my ego-injury, it turns out she raids as a NE Feral Druid.

We were working in the computer lab, analyzing data, when I noticed that the shine on my laptop's spacebar was predominately on the left, whereas all the other computers had their shine on the right. I asked one of my other lab partners where the shine was on his laptop's spacebar (right), and concluded that left-thumb usage is another hallmark of the gamer's keyboard. (I don't know about anybody else, but when I'm surfing the internet, not necessarily typing anything, my left hand automatically sits on WASD.)

When I say this aloud, the grad student perks up, "What do you play?" "Oh, I'm addicted to World of Warcraft." "Really? How far are you?" "We just downed Sarth plus three drakes."

She sorta nods, and we both go back to work. As we finish up for the afternoon, she says "So, I suppose it's time for the obligatory 'What server are you on?'"

We end up talking all the way to the bus stop. Turns out her guild is also working on OS25+3D, so we were swapping strategies and debating tactics. It never ceases to amuse me the initial reaction to declaring your faction. When I told her I play a Tauren Hunter, she gives a little scowl with the reply, "Oh, you play Horde." My response: "Ew, you must be Alliance." Then we concluded that we could no longer be friends and it was going to be painful having to work together for the rest of the quarter.

It's comforting to know that there are more women biologists out there with a gaming habit, though it certainly caught me by surprise to find one so close!

In other news, we cleared Sunwell in an hour last night (sorry, 55 minutes). As sad as it was that we killed Kil'Jaeden before Anveena could even sacfrice herself, the fight had The Coolest Graphics Ever, and I'm glad I got to see it at least once, though I regret not being about to try Muru and KJ when they were a challange.

Oh, and the bow dropped. It went to another hunter :P

No comments: