Friday, November 6, 2009

Ahn'Kawho?

I can't say I'm very impressed with Blizzard's turning trend of naming tier gear. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort - only so many Stalker names are out there, I know - but now they are making it confusing.

It doesn't help that hunters are already a little embittered about the whole T9 bit. Even though the whole Horde get one name for an item, the Alliance get another bit made it painful as hell to communicate cross faction about gear, it was fairly noticeable that hunters got cheated for original faction hero names. Windrunner and Windrunner - sister hunters separated by faction - very clever.

Tier 10 names have been released, and they are... strange. Even lore-lover me had to stop and think about where these were coming from. Hunters get "Ahn'Kahar Blood Hunter's Battlegear," while other classes get names like "Ymirjar Lord's Plate," "Frost Witch's Regalia," and "Crimson Acolyte's Raiment." See the trend here? Nearly every class' tier gear draws its title from our enemies. Only paladins make out with a good-aligned name: "Lightsworn Garb."

This makes me think - are we salvaging our tier gear from the depths of Icecrown Citadel to better go unnoticed as we work towards the Frozen Throne? Are the paladins just too goody-two-shoes, and their fancy-pansy light just can't bear be blighted by wearing the enemy's armor? WHY AM I WEARING A DEAD NERUBIAN ON MY HEAD?


Neg wants to know!

3 comments:

Fig said...

Stupid name to go with one of the ugliest tier sets I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...

While I agree that this tier doesn't look impressive, I wanted to say that I like how Blizzard named tier 9 after Windrunners. Yes, both Alliance and Horde shared a name, but ever since I was a little girl watching Dad playing Warcraft 2 (when Alleria Windrunner was introduced), and later playing Warcraft 3 myself (Sylvanas Windrunner), I enjoyed the Windrunner lore. (It may or may not have to do with the fact that I am the eldest of 3 sisters. Haha.) So yeah, I like tier 9 being named after the Windrunners. ;)

Mehkaela of Sen'jin said...

As far as aesthetics go, I hate most all helms. always have and probably always will. But to be fair, I get yelled at regularly because I refuse to wear a hat during the winter. If i had a choice on designing the hunter gear, I would love to have the wind runner gear look fairly similar to what the Windrunners already wear. I know that it won't ever be exactly the same, but I love the hood/helm from the Deadly Gladiator set, and it would be awesome if the set was done up similar to Lady S, but maybe in dark browns and greens, or even white and blue - something a bit more hunter-y. (plus i would kill to have a cape and chest piece the looks like hers.)